Academic research on the collection and research on the history of the town are essential tasks of the museum. Over the past 20 years, a series of research studies regarding the individual exhibits and object groups from the collection has accrued.
The main topics of the museum's research are:
- history of Lemgo, especially the history of the witch hunts
- witch hunts and historical culture
- Jewish history in Lemgo and Lippe
- pottery, building of carriages, history of crafts and guilds
- the collection Neubourg (colonial history)
- the city's history, the preservation of ancient monuments, tourism