In 1926, the Heimatmuseum (the museum of local history) was set up in the Hexenbürgermeisterhaus. The set-up of the old local history museum, such as the torture chamber, the farmer's kitchen and the Biedermeier room, had shaped the public's image of the Hexenbürgermeisterhaus for many years.
In 2004, the Hexenbürgermeisterhaus was re-opened after an extensive restoration project. Two special exhibitions about the building and house history as well as about the city's history ("BUET AN DISE STEDE" and "WieEngelGottes") were displayed between 2004 and 2006.
In 2007, the new permanent exhibition called "'Vielschichtig'. Stadtgeschichte - Bauge- schichte - Lebensgeschichten" ("'Complex'. City and Building History and Life Stories") was opened. It gives insight into the city's history of over 800 years and the building and house history of over 400 years of the house at Breite Strasse 19.
Special topics of the exhibition include the history of the witch hunt as well as the biography and work of Engelbert Kaempfer (1651-1716), a doctor, naturalist and traveller.
The history of the Jews in Lemgo is also an important topic of the museum. In the Frenkel house at Echternstraße 70, where the Jewish family Frenkel used to live, a permanent exhibition about the history of Jews in Lemgo can be visited.
The museum disposes of a substantial collection regarding the city's history and culture. The preservation, research and presentation of the exhibits are the core tasks of the museum.